posted Sep 26, 2014, 1:28 PM by Paul Gautreau
updated Sep 26, 2014, 1:30 PM
Children need at least 60 minutes of physical activity each day. Finding ways to be active every day may be hard for busy families. Walking to school is a great way for your child to be active. Parents often worry about their child’s safety while walking alone for many reasons. A walking school bus may make you feel better about your child walking to school. This is when a group of children walk to school with one or more adults.
Here are some tips for a walking school bus:
- Invite families who live nearby to walk.
- Pick a route and take a test walk.
- Take side streets and paths that are less busy with traffic.
- Decide how often the group will walk together.
- Talk with your boss to adjust your work day.
For more information visit http://saferoutestoschool.ca/walking-school-bus, www.ottawa.ca/health or contact Ottawa Public Health at 613-580-6744.